1. Make enquiries to see if the motorist is insured

The askMID service will confirm whether the other vehicle involved in the accident is insured. A search can be done at the roadside immediately after the accident or at a later time.

2. Collect driver and vehicle details

To help establish whether it is a claim MIB can help with you will need the name and address of the other driver as well as the registration number, make and model of the other vehicle. If the other driver says the claim must be submitted through his employer ask for their details as well as the name of their insurers.

3. Other information will be useful

Any other information about the other driver and the vehicle you can gather such as telephone numbers, email addresses and so on will be very useful so please keep hold of them.

4. If the driver didn’t give you their insurance details

If the person driving the other vehicle refused to give you details of their insurance make a formal complaint to the police. You are entitled to do this as a refusal to give insurance information is a criminal offence.

Remember you should contact your insurer. Your insurance policy requires all accidents to be reported and your insurers may be able to trace the other driver’s insurers. Your insurer has access to the MID (Motor Insurance Database) which may contain details of the driver’s insurers.


5. Damage to your vehicle

If you have comprehensive motor insurance for your vehicle you should make a claim for any repairs through your own insurer. You should do the same for any other property damaged as a result of the accident.

6. If someone has been injured

If someone has been injured in the accident we may be able to help by sourcing appropriate treatment or rehabilitation. We can advise on this once we have received a completed claim form.

Medical treatment and rehabilitation are more effective if accessed as soon as possible after an accident.

7. Independent legal advice

You are free to seek independent legal advice at any stage of your claim. If you have legal expenses insurance, you should inform them and they may appoint a solicitor to help you.

If you don’t have insurance for legal expenses you may want to speak to Citizens’ Advice or a solicitor about how to get someone to represent you.  

8. Collect as much information as you can about your losses

Keep receipts for expenses you incur such as travel costs and medication.

  • We need details of any insurance you have which may cover your losses. 
  • If your vehicle has been damaged try to get two estimates, but if the vehicle is not drivable one will be enough. 
  • Do not delay your claim while waiting for estimates to arrive. We can arrange to have your vehicle inspected by an independent engineer if necessary.    

The law requires all innocent victims of accidents to mitigate their loss. This means that victims must do what they reasonably can to minimise the loss they incur.