Check your vehicle at

You can check that your own vehicle has a valid insurance policy recorded on the MID at This service is free to use and will immediately tell you if your vehicle is registered on the MID. 

Continuous Insurance Enforcement law

Please be aware that since 2011, it is a legal requirement for a vehicle to have either a valid insurance policy or for it to be declared off the road with the DVLA via a valid SORN at all times.  This legal requirement is called the Continuous Insurance Enforcement law.

Is your vehicle on the MID?

If your vehicle is showing as insured on the MID then no further action is needed. If it isn't you need to check whether your insurance is up-to-date or declare your vehicle off road.

If your vehicle does not appear in the database

If you think you are insured then you will need to contact your insurance company. It is only your insurance provider who can update your records on the MID. The MIB and DVLA cannot update your records.

If you are not insured

If you are not insured, you must officially declare your vehicle as off the road with the DVLA or purchase valid insurance. If you wish to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) then visit

If you no longer have the vehicle

You will need to fill in the relevant section on your Registration Certificate (V5C) and send it to the DVLA or inform the DVLA online.

Where can I find out more information about the MID?

askMID convo

Visit the askMID website to find out more and how to use the service

askMID convo